Skip to content

Andrew Wyeth, That Gentleman

December 21, 2010

That Gentleman is one of my favorite artworks at the Dallas Museum of Art. This painting, which is located on the 4th floor in the American galleries, was painted by Andrew Wyeth in 1960.

That Gentlemen portrays an elderly African-American man named Tom Clark, who was the neighbor of Mr. Wyeth. Although his face is hidden from the viewer, I’m compelled to further explore this composition with fresh eyes, looking for clues that express his personality. Mr. Wyeth wrote about Mr. Clark, stating: “His voice is gentle, his wit is keen, and his wisdom enormous.” This portrait is a constant reminder of how we should sometimes stop and take notice of the quiet, unsung heroes in our life.

Karen A. Colbert
Teaching Programs Intern

12 Comments leave one →
  1. Shandreyia Singh permalink
    July 4, 2011 11:05 am

This is my great grandfather Tom Clark his daughter is my grandmother

• Melissa Nelson permalink
      July 5, 2011 10:44 am

Wow! Do you live near the Dallas area, Shandreyia, and have you ever seen That Gentleman in person?

Thanks for sharing!
      Melissa Nelson

2. shanderyia Singh permalink
    January 24, 2012 8:52 pm

No I never seen it in person but if I come to Dallas I will indeed. thanks Melissa

3. September 26, 2012 1:18 pm

Just stumbled across this picture, truly magnificent. I cannot help but see it through Heideggers lens, it suggests a disclosure, a truth that makes it a great work of art. Ranks alongside Van Gogh in its honesty. Am going to go to Dallas to see it.

Wyeth and Hopper are the first realy American artists outside of native Indian art. Awesome

Eric

• Nicole Stutzman permalink
      September 27, 2012 8:20 am

Thanks Eric for leaving a comment. Let us know when you make a visit to Dallas!

4. Ashli permalink
    June 8, 2013 1:11 pm

When will he be on display again? I am so sad he’s not on his wall.

• Sarah Coffey permalink
      July 9, 2013 1:27 pm

Hi Ashli, I just checked with our registrar and she said that we don’t have plans to put the painting up in the near future. We have to let our artworks rest on occasion! But I know this is a favorite for many, so I bet he’ll be back up before you know it!

5. Terry MacLaren permalink
    April 10, 2016 5:18 pm

When we bought our home, approximately 8 years ago, the previous owner (who built the home and had died a few years prior to us purchasing) left a painting that I couldn’t stop looking at. It now holds a special place on wall above the fireplace. The previous owner would have owned home since approximately 1973. It seems to be a print on panel board and the frame looks to have gone with it. On the back is a sticker stating the name of the painting, “That Gentleman” and by Andrew Wyeth. People that visit comment on it, how calming it is. Will always keep. I’m from PEI, Canada, so unsure if will ever get to Dallas to see the original, but would love to.

• Sarah Coffey permalink
      April 11, 2016 11:22 am

Thanks Terry, we’re so glad this artwork has inspired you.

• Eric Longley permalink
      April 15, 2016 10:22 am

Terry There are three paintings in the world that are truly worth visiting; Picasso Guernica in Madrid – awesome inspiring, JMW Turner Rain Steam and Speed in Tate London astonishing talent and of course Wyeths painting in the Dallas – regrettably the Dallas gallery hide it away in some dark dismal corner of the building – deserves a far better hanging than the one it occupies at the moment but Dallas has not yet fully realized the importance of Wyeth as a truly American painter. Dallas is probably nearer to you london or Madrid so go, go now while you can and before you get to old to travel.

6. June 30, 2016 11:29 am

I have a picture of That gentleman. Wonder if it is worth anything. Could u let me know?